Tuesday, July 5, 2011

addicted!


I am completely addicted to making the farmers wife quilt blocks!! They have me mesmerized!! As I've been working to catch up with the group (I think they are on week 5 or 6 now), I've been loving each block and it's process!! I think the most time consuming part for me is choosing the fabrics for each block! I had my little stack and just couldn't stick to just those ones. Too many cute fabrics that coordinated were calling out to me. It isn't surprising though since I've never stuck to one collection when making a quilt. :)

{40} Friendship Block

I think this one is my favorite so far!! Tasha's Little Red Riding Hood is just so cute, how could I not add her in one of the blocks!!

{2} Autumn Tints

{15} Buzzard's Roost

{10} Bowtie

{6} Big Dipper

For the Big Dipper, I really loved how Tasha showcased the pinwheel so followed suit after her block! When I first saw this block I only noticed the triangles as hourglasses, so loved how she focused on the pinwheel. :)

{51} Hovering Birds

{16} Calico Puzzle

I've also learned through making my first nine, that some of the blocks I really love more than others, but seeing them all together so far makes me really love them all!!

All nine blocks stacked up!

My blocks are a little smaller than most, being 6 inches square. I know it must be my printer, but all the settings that I can figure out seem to be right, but there must be something that is set wrong and is printing them a tad smaller. I've decided to just go with the 6 inch blocks since they will all be consistent and with making a lap size, I'll get to choose more to be in it. :)

Happy Tuesday!

25 comments:

  1. They are so beautiful Kerri!! I have my book but haven't been able to start yet but yours will certainly serve as inspiration when I do get to start! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing collection of blocks! I can't even pick a favourite! The one is as pretty as the next. Well done

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look fabulous!!!! GREAT fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. they all look so great! i can't wait to start accumulating more. the fabric choices are what take me the longest too. :) i figure too that even if a block here and there isn't my favorite, when the whole thing is put together it will work out. so far, yours is looking adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They all look gorgeous! I especially love the red riding hood block! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is your print scale set to "none?" It has to be set to that for it to work out to 6.5" square. But ya know, there are not any quilt police---realllly!

    your blocks are precious and I like how you displayed them on the string with the cute clips;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh...these are so so so so so pretty! I can see why you are in love...and I am in love your fabric choices... i can see this could go on and on ...and get more and more beautiful!! well done you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your Farmer's Wife quilt blocks and the background floral of your blog! Would you please consider adding the gadget to allow subscribing by email? It's makes it so easy to keep up with a great blog. I am having trouble posting on blogs on which the comment pages do not pop up as a separate page so I am commenting via my blog URL rather than my Google ID. Email is melrosemiss@aol.com.

    ReplyDelete
  9. THANKS so much for all your sweet comments!!

    Sara, I do have my printer set at "none" for the print scale. It really stressed me at first, but now I'm o.k. with them being a little smaller. At least they are coming out at a perfect 6 inches and not an odd size. I'm happy with the thought of making more for a lap size. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your fabrics! Looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your blocks are fabulous Kerri!
    P.S. make sure the printer doesn't switch to another size before you finish your quilt. That happened to me and I had to remake 46 blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are lovely i love your fabrics for the Buzzards roost so pretty. In fact there all lovely. Happy patch working ;-)) dee x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful work Kerri....love your fabric choices too....so pretty!
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh boy, just seeing your blocks makes me want to try to join and catch up with the group. I have the book, and I have so many beautiful fabrics . . . but I don't have lots of time for yet another project! See what you did!!!!! Now I have to think about this and see if I could handle another little commitment. I want to start on a hexy flower group sew-along too! Beautiful job, beautiful blocks. Love visiting your blog!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  15. #1 is my favorite too - these look fantastic! Can't wait to get mine started soon... is it soon yet?? hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your blocks are my favorite so far. Really love the Red Riding Hood one, but also the one with the blue gingham. Looking forward to seeing more progress! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love all the colors & prints you are using. Can't wait to see what's next!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love that LRRH block! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, I was ready to buy the book until I read the reviews. They said the blocks were not to scale and there were no patterns as such for the squares. Can you tell me the process used to cut out the patterns? I am not that experienced, but I love the squares and yours are wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Daftdahlia,

    The book comes with a cd that has all the patterns that you print out. In the flickr group, one person condensed them so it didn't take nearly as many papers. I use the templates by putting a piece of tape on it and then use my rotary cutter and ruler. I can cut about 4 at a time of the same template and it goes pretty quickly. It has a simple picture of the block that shows how you combine them to create the block. It is really simple, and I haven't had any problems with putting the blocks together. I've started with the easier ones, and I think that helps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you!I will check out the flickr group. I appreciate your help.

    ReplyDelete
  23. these are gorgeous! is it a certain set of blocks that are considered 'farmers wife' or is it anything that includes half square triangles? Really love your print and color choices.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and visiting my blog!! Your sweet comments are always cherished, and truly make my days brighter! I ♥ reading each and every one!! Hugs!